Multimedia • Reference • Religion • Travel
Judaism and Christianity in First-Century Rome
Edited by Karl P. Donfried & Peter Richardson
From The Publisher:
Rome, as the center of the first century world, was home to numerous ethnic groups, among which were both Jews and Christians. The dealings of the Roman government with these two groups, and their dealings with each other, are the focus of this engaging book.
Based on the latest biblical and historical scholarship and archaeological evidence, this volume will be a valuable resource for students of first-century Judaism and Christianity.
Send us your favorite quotes or passages from this book.
About the Author
Table of Contents
In the First Century:
The Nature and Scope of the Question
PART 1: ARCHAEOLOGICAL AND EPIGRAPHIC STUDIES
1. Augustan-Era Synagogues in Rome
2. Synagogue and Society in Imperial Ostia: Archaeological and Epigraphic Evidence
3. The Interaction of Jews with Non-Jews in Rome
PART 2: SOCIAL-HISTORICAL STUDIES
4. Roman Policy toward the Jews: Expulsions from the City of Rome during the First Century C.E.
5. The Formation of the First "Christian Organizations" in Rome in the Context of the Jewish Congregations
6. Jewish and Christian Families in First-Century Rome
7. The Oral World of Early Christianity in Rome: The Case of Hermas
PART 3: DEVELOPMENTAL STUDIES
8. Romans, Jews, and Christians: The Impact of the Romans on Jewish/Christian Relations in First-Century Rome
9. Social Perspectives on Roman Christianity during the Formative Years from Nero to Nerva: Romans, Hebrews, 1 Clement
10. From Obscurity to Prominence: The Development of the Roman Church between Romans and 1 Clement
Write your own online review.
Look for Similar Books by Subject
Copyright ©1996-2005 CenturyOne Bookstore. All Rights Reserved.
All prices subject to change and given in U.S. dollars.
Your purchase from CenturyOne.com will assist the CenturyOne Foundation in providing funding for various archaeological and research projects which seek to provide more information about the period of the First Century C.E., the origins of Christianity and the world of the Bible in general.
All materials contained in http://www.centuryone.com are protected by copyright and trademark laws and may not be used for any purpose whatsoever other than private, non-commercial viewing purposes. Derivative works and other unauthorized copying or use of stills, video footage, text or graphics is expressly prohibited.